We're Number One! We're Number One! Yay?
We've made it to the top of another list, but unlike the drinking one, I found this one a little surprising. Austin households spend more (outside of mortgage/rent) than all other American cities. We spend on average $67,076 a year while the country's average is $37,782. Yep, we are spending nearly double the national average.
I am not surprised by #5, Plano, the Upscale Shopping Mall Center of the World and the one place I've ever lived that I truly wished would vanish from Earth forever. Or Scottsdale, #2, Arizona's Plano equivalent. Texas actually had a big showing with 6 of the top 25. Gooooooooo Texas! More evidence that financial education classes should be a mandatory component of high school curriculum.
Play around with the Austin data here and compare your own spending habits.

2 comments:
Could either show we have bad person fiscal responsibility and spend too much - or we are less sensitive to the recession and are lucky to have the ability to spend so much which is a good thing. Could see it either way.
Yes, that's a good point. I don't see data from previous years to compare it to. They are also releasing savings data soon too. The study does say that household spending doesn't necessarily decrease in areas that have more affordable housing, which is why the savings data would be interesting.
Post a Comment