8/21/08

The Chemical Crusade


I've always got my causes. You know this about me. So this post will not surprise you. When it comes to my passions, my challenge is always to walk the line of education, when solicited, rather than being preachy. So oftentimes, I may learn about something that affects me on a certain level and not even really share it with many people. As I've gotten older, I think I've gotten better at filtering out environmental discoveries and knowledge to friends who have an interest. But the beauty of keeping a blog is that the message receiver can self-filter. What I'm saying is, if you're not interested in this topic, move on.

I've been thinking about chemicals a lot lately. Not that I didn't before, but they've been cramping my style lately. I was recommended a book this summer called Our Stolen Future by Theo Colborn.



This book blew me away. The main discussion surrounds chemical buildup in our bodies and the chemical transfer from mother to baby including its effect on sexual development. Basically, man-made chemicals build up in our bodies, and when a woman gets pregnant, much of the store of chemicals is transferred to the fetus.

On a personal level, I found myself evaluating health conditions of myself and my relatives in light of what I read. After living in the New Orleans area for a number of years, my grandmother, cousin, and mother all contracted various forms of cancer. I've always wondered what role environment played in their diseases given that none of our relatives had documented incidences of cancer in the past. As for myself, I found out a few years ago that I have a pituitary tumor, which affects my endocrine system. The cases of these tumors have grown exponentially in recent decades, puzzling doctors. The cause is unknown, but endocrine and reproductive disorders have been linked to chemical exposure. And of course the human species is not the only one experiencing this rise in endocrine and reproductive disorders. The book details the gamut of species that have been studied and are experiencing similar issues. The incidence of hermaphroditism has been found to be rising in some species, which makes me wonder about Mr. Hermie, my vet-tested "possible hermaphrodite."

This book was very educational for me. I've also found Environmental Working Group's website and findings to be a valuable source of information. As I've tried to understand the current situation, these are the conclusions I've made:

1. The FDA can't keep up with number of new chemicals being produced.
2. Trade secrets allow companies to keep harmful ingredients secret.
3. Consumers really do shoulder the responsibility of educating themselves about product safety.

So with these conclusions in mind, I've been taking baby steps to make more informed choices when it comes to my health. EWG sure does make this easier. Here are some things I've learned through my research:


Did You Know?

* Some mascaras contain mercury
* Some conditioners and moisturizers contain extracts from human and cow placenta
* Dental sealants contain Bisphenol A, which is linked to endocrine disorders. I've got 4 in my mouth. Coincidence?
* Lead is found in some hair dyes.
* Albacore tuna has three times as much mercury as light tuna.
* Traditional tampons and pads are bleached with chlorine, producing dioxin, which is linked to cancer and everything else bad in this world.

Some of the EWG tools that have made my life easier
Skin Deep database. I have come to love this database over the past few years and have gotten in the habit of consulting it before I purchase any health or beauty products. You can search by brand name or see a list of products arranged by toxicity ranking. The site is very easy to use and has comprehensive data on hair, skin, fragrance, and hygiene products.

Human Toxome Project. This study outlines levels of pollution found in humans around the world. Scary, but very informative.

2008 Sunscreen Study. 4 out of 5 sunscreens were found to contain toxic ingredients or not protect skin as claimed. This database tells you what ingredients to avoid and which sunscreens are most effective AND safe.

Shoppers' Guide to Pesticides in Produce
. Outlines the "Dirty Dozen" and the "Cleanest 12" of produce (and everything in between) so you can decide which fruits and veggies are worth paying a little more for organic and which are fine conventionally grown.

Timeline: BPA from Invention to Phase-Out
. BPA (Bisphenol A) is a chemical found in baby bottles, nalgene-type bottles, many other "hard plastics", and as a lining on metal cans. After many decades of research and proven negative effects, manufacturers and retails are finally heeding the warnings. A few months ago, some companies began phasing out products that are make with BPA, but the mainstream public is probably still unaware. BPA exposure has been shown to lead to prostate problems, breast cancer, early puberty, and behavioral problems. Infants are most at risk, and tragically, most baby bottles and formulas stored in metal cans have been found to contain BPA. Better days ahead, though.


Safe & Natural Products I Really Enjoy

* Doc Bronner's peppermint soap.

I've been hooked on this stuff for about five years now. I'm a peppermint fiend. This soap really wakes me up during my morning shower and also clears out my sinuses. I've also used it to wash my hair and clothes on long hiking excursions.

* Kleen Kanteen stainless steel water bottles.
These bottles keep your drinks C-O-L-D cold! And they are made of stainless steel, so there's no need to worry about leaching plastic chemicals making their way into your body. I'm also on the hunt for some steel drinking cups. My friend Deana has some great ones she found at a thrift store, but I'm having a hard time finding some myself.

* Natracare Feminine Products


According to their website, the average woman uses up to 11,000 tampons in her life. Natracare tampons are totally organic, and I like knowing that I'm not injecting pesticides into my body every month.










* Earth Friendly Products Ecos Laundry Detergent.

This detergent is totally plant-based and biodegradable, unlike many mainstream detergents, which are petroleum-based. I like the very light scent and the fact that I have to use a very small amount to get the clothes clean.













* Green Guide: The Complete Reference for Consuming Wisely.

I recently purchased this book and it seems to be a comprehensive guide for educated consumption.
















All in all, I urge you to educate yourself about the products with which you surround yourselves...no one else will do it for you!

3 comments:

Anonymous September 17, 2008 at 3:10 PM  

hi there... it's yvonne, jake's wife. i found your blog through your brothers.

i couldnt resist, but i just ordered that book -- green guide. thanks for the recommendation.

i've been doing my part to be more aware of things i buy, plus i look for animal-cruelty free items.

i've been using mrs. meyers laundry detergent or seventh generation for awhile now, but they dont clean jake's work clothes well so i switched back to tide (for his work clothes only). its amazing how things change when you cut them out for awhile because now, smelling his clothes after being washed with tide makes me feel vertigo and kinda gives me a headache. i'm thinking i'll just use the tide sparingly... like every 2-3 cycles to get the tough stains outs.

plus, i started using white vinegar as a fabric softener. i love it. i found a recipe for it online (distilled white vinegar, baking soda and distilled water) plus, i add essential oil so it smells nice. it works well.

megan September 18, 2008 at 5:48 PM  

thanks for the fabric softener tip - i'll have to try that. i've been using one made by method, but the scent is overpowering and i'm not going to buy it again. i totally hear what you are saying about the headaches and vertigo...it's amazing how we get accustomed to such heavy fragrances and chemicals and don't even realize it!

Anonymous September 21, 2008 at 11:29 PM  

yes, give it a try. the mix i use makes clothes feel reasonably soft and the scent is faint, but nice. it doesnt really linger long -- which is perfectly fine with me. i guess it depends on how much essential oil you end up using. i've been experimenting with sweet orange and a small amt. of tea tree oil. each batch i make is always a little different.

you may already know this, but... when you mix the baking soda with the vinegar -- it fizzes, so you have to do it a little at a time.

also, i recycled an old vinegar jug for the softener because i usually have to shake well before each use (the baking soda settles at the bottom), so it helps that it's see-through.

p.s. i got the green guide in the mail last week -- and you're right, it's a great reference book. :> thanks again.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP