4/15/09

Some Great New Local Biz

I've been to a few great new spots here in Austin recently and just thought I'd share. Please reply if you have suggestions of your own.

First of all, if you haven't heard of Bennu yet, it's probably because you are not a student.
I'm actually at Bennu right now. It's 12:30am and I just arrived....yep, a great new 24-hour coffee spot! It's on East MLK and has lots of comfy couches and chairs and I have to say...it arrived just in time for end-of-semester chaos so I'm very thankful. Another plus - it doesn't serve alcohol (yet, at least) so you don't have to worry about being the only nerd trying to work done on weekend nights :)

There's also a great new pizza spot in my very own neighborhood called House Pizzeria.
It's on Airport at 52nd, right in that strange mix of Pawn Shops and I Love Video/Coldtowne fun. Their pizzas are unique - I had the arugula pizza - and they use lots of local ingredients. They also have local beers on tap, a jukebox, and a fabulous turquoise concrete floor. You should check it out.

My final recommendation for the night is Somnio's on South First.
Somnio's serves brunch, lunch, and dinner, and I've been there for all three. It actually opened several months ago but is a fairly small place so many people still haven't heard of it. It's in an old house and probably only has about six tables inside. The menu is small and made of foods obtained locally (both produce and meat). My favorite experience at Somnio's was when Chris and I went for brunch and were delighted to find a large bluegrass band playing inside. They probably look up over half of the room :) They were great and I felt like I was in New England again. Anyway, I don't know if the bluegrass is a regular thing on Sundays, but the food is enough reason to check it out.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP