Rant
I work in the Lakeway area (for those of you not from Austin, it's a small affluent town on the lake) and am very accustomed to seeing parking lots full of SUVs with one passenger each, usually each being a young mom in workout attire and plenty of makeup. But this lady's Sequoia just struck a nerve with me.
I understand that some people want to drill our country away, but I don't understand the emphasis on "paying less" for gasoline because of it. If one wants to pay less for gasoline, there are so many other options that would be more effective. The most obvious one to me: buy a different car. One that is smaller and runs more efficiently. You'll save money on the actual car and the cost to make it run. And you'll save money immediately rather than twenty years down the line when we've built more plants to refine more oil. Just saying.
PS. Because of this young lady's Sequoia and the many others out there, our grandkids might not know what a sequoia is. Or a tundra or bronco for that matter.

I apologize for my rant. Sorry. :)
3 comments:
I think the oil sticker next to the NRA sticker on the gigantic SUV peronifies what people abroad think of the US.
We are what we eat
your rant is totally warranted. I remember seeing a Ford Expedition in Kingwood a few years ago (just the driver, no kids) with the sticker that looked like a No Smoking sign except said "High Gas Prices". I had the same thought...just stop driving a gas-guzzler car, idiot!
interesting point you make too about the names of the cars being exactly what they are killing.
I have a similar Expedition story. One year while hiking at Big Bend NP, my dad and I met an environmental scientist from Houston and his wife who were backpacking for a week. They also love Big Bend and we all talked about our yearly trips there. A few days later, we saw the couple emerging from the backcountry and packing up their vehicle....an Exhibition with a bumper sticker that said "Clean Air for Big Bend Now." I was shocked that an environmental scientist had missed the irony in his message.
Post a Comment