1/17/10

On Marriage


My husband and I have been married for three months as of yesterday. In the span of a lifetime, three months is nothing - our professional photos from the wedding are not even finished. We haven't yet gone on our honeymoon. But I think we truly understand the importance and significance of the vows we took.

In a random act of violence, my husband was assaulted on New Years and suffered head trauma. I can't tell you how thankful I was that we got married before the incident took place. When he was in the ambulance and emergency room, I was able to make medical decisions for him. I was able to sign for him and be with him at every moment. And this gave me great comfort to know that I was there when he needed me most. And I am continually comforted to know that at some point in our marriage, the roles will be reversed, and he will be there for me when I most need him.

Today is a day in remembrance of Martin Luther King, Jr., and I've been thinking a lot about equality since the incident. It troubles me that friends of mine have been a loving, monogamous relationship for over a decade and cannot do these things for each other in Texas because they are in a same-sex relationship and cannot legally marry. It angers me that this inequality still exists. I can't begin to imagine how it must feel to be unable to do such things for your life partner.

I hope things change because everyone deserves to be legally married to the one person they love.

That's all.

2 comments:

Vic January 19, 2010 at 8:52 AM  

Well said. I am sorry about what happened to your husband, but it is fortunate that you were able to care for him. I hope someday all couples will have those rights.

Kathie Quinn January 20, 2010 at 12:03 AM  

so beautifully stated. Your story is EXACTLY the reason why it DOES matter. When Steve got sick last year, i would have been in very big trouble had we been a lesbian couple without any of the rights afforded to us simply for being straight.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP