6/25/10

Riding the Rails

I got to work at the Convention Center this week, so I finally got to try out MetroRail as a commuter.  I was very pleased.  It didn't hurt that it saved me over an hour of commute time every day.  The only thing that would have made the journey even better would have been if I could have biked to the station, but this klutz is not allowed on a bike until baby is safely out of my body.


I'll just try to throw out a few practical tips in case any of you want to try it too.
  • The ticket machines take credit/debit cards and cash (except $20s).  Be careful though if you use cash - the machine may give you a Electronic Change Card (to use on rather trips) rather than change.  The rather annoying catch in small print on the back is that ECCs expire 15 days after issue and can only be used at ticket vending machines (not on bus travel).  Crock.  I'd be okay with that if the machine warned me, but it didn't.
  • The trains are very punctual, unlike CapMetro buses!  One morning it even came 3 minutes early.  Don't press your luck cause it's 30 minutes to the next train.
  • Each time I rode the train it was probably about 80-90% full, and surprisingly people get on and get off at all of the stops (rather than a majority getting off downtown).  Bike racks were always full, but people had plenty of room to stand with their bikes near the doors.
  • EVERYONE reads on the train.  It's like you've stepped in some beautiful alternate universe. 
  • The train is really fast and quiet.  HOWEVER, the train's horn is pesky and loud.  Don't sit in the front of the first car if you want a quiet ride. 
  • The route may not be perfect and all-inclusive yet, but it is a step in the right direction.  Try it out and support our new transportation option!  It's one of the best ways to support expanded service in the future.

3 comments:

Unknown June 25, 2010 at 4:30 PM  

I'm glad you rode the train- I've been curious about it. That stinks about the ECCs- they should fix that. Didn't I hear there is a new CapMetro CEO?

megan June 25, 2010 at 4:35 PM  

Yes, her name is Linda Watson and I guess she was the head of the rail system in Orlando before coming here.

PS - They also picked the new Sustainability Officer. She sounds pretty rad.

ondre June 27, 2010 at 5:34 PM  

I wonder if the free wifi is as fast as the train?

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP