Ancient Egypt
My brother, dad, and I went to the King Tut exhibit in Dallas last weekend. The whole experince was rather frustrating because we waited in a very long line and it was very expensive. Once we got inside, the crowds were so thick I couldn't see anything. And worse, the museum workers were carting us along like cattle. One room had a short movie about the discovery of King Tut's tomb, and I wasn't allowed to watch it because I had to "keep moving". Pretty disappointing. But, as I was walking through the exhibit looking at contents of the tomb, something inside me felt like I was a kid again. I couldn't quite place it, but something was reminding me of a fear I had as a child.
Finally, I figured out what connection my brain was making. When I was very young, I saw a Sesame Street skit about Bert and Ernie visiting an ancient pyramid. In the skit, one of the mummies comes to life when Ernie is alone. Every time Bert comes back to the room, the mummy is only a mummy, but when he leaves, he comes to life and freaks Ernie out. I have memories of this skit being the scariest thing I had ever seen when I was three or four years old. I mean, for years--throughout my childhood--it haunted me. I had nightmares about it pretty frequently.
Thanks to the wonders of YouTube, guess what I found? The skit! Seems so silly now...Man, I don't know how kids today watch all of these slasher movies...this was enough for me!
Does anyone else remember this skit? Or other innocent Sesame Street sketches that freaked you out?
3 comments:
I was disappointed as well. The whole line experience me feel like a bovine species... That and being ushered from room to crowded room with the others. The exhibit itself was cool, they need to make it more "open" and not timed.
Oh I love Bert and Ernie! Or is it Bert and Edward? LOL....just kidding.
Very funny skit....wish I could have stood in line with ya'll. Sorry it was disappointing. The first King Tut exhibit in Dallas was nice...remember?
I love it- I didnt know the skit you were talking about but then as soon as I started it I was like OH MY GOSH! I completely remember it now and I also was scared as a kid from that skit...thanks for bringing back memories...I am sure I will awake Dustin tonight telling him about some bad dream of mummys coming back to life :-)
Post a Comment