Chuga Chuga Choo Choo!
I had a big loop of travel for Christmas: Austin -> Houston -> New Orleans -> Houma -> Dallas -> Austin. I needed to get back to Austin from Dallas and had a mondo bag with all of the sweaters and Christmas presents. I've always wanted to try the Dallas/Austin Amtrak line, and what better time to do it than vacation?
I had such an awesome time! The obvious disadvantage of taking a train rather than driving or flying is travel time. I left Dallas at 12:30 and arrived in Austin at 7:00. So if you are going up for a quick weekend, I could see why the train might not be the best option. BUT that being said, I argue that you can get lots of work done on a train. I could easily get grad school work accomplished on the way there, which would more than make up the extra few hours on the train.
In my eyes, the train has many other positives. My Top Ten reasons to ride a train:
1. No motion sickness. I don't get motion sick on trains, and that is huge. Attempting to read (or do anything for that matter) during a car, bus, boat, or plane trip can be disastrous for me.
2. Comfort. Huge amount of leg and seat room, reclining chairs with footrests.
3. Great views of the countryside rather than 18-wheelers. I saw many groups of cows and sheep on my ride, as well as several rivers, and many stretches with no humans visible. It's amazing how even looking at such scenery can refresh me.
4. Easy on the wallet. The one-way trip is $48. Renting a car for one-way is around $150 (plus the cost of gas).
5. Various food options. There is a cafe for takeaway food or a restaurant available for reservations. Beats peanuts any day.
6. Really nice people. I met lots of grandparents travelling with their grandkids on my ride. Many people playing cards or just conversing in the observation car. You will NOT run into stressed out Type As on the train :)
7. Environment, environment, environment.
8. Easy to get work done or devour a good book. There are booths with large tables in the observation car, and each seat has a tray table with plenty of room (unlike planes).
9. Creates demand for public transportation, which we all know needs a boost.
10. Timeless. Hopefully, at least. I'd hate to think of a world without trains.
I documented my trip with lots of pictures. Here are some of my favorites.
Railway Express (links Dallas and Fort Worth)
and ends in San Antonio. I sat on the top level of this car.
Worth, which I was excited about because Fort Worth is such a cute
city. I walked around downtown and hung out in a bookstore.
0 comments:
Post a Comment