12/30/09

Alphabet Soup


I've been married for 2.5 months now, and I'm still tackling the name change issue. I've known for a very long time that I want to keep my birth name as a part of my married name. I love the history behind the name Sembera and its rarity in the US. I love that one can google my name and know that everything written about Megan Sembera is about me. (Good thing there are no skeletons in my closet.) I like that a hyphenated last name will provide me with some professional continuity. Finally, I love the symbolism of a hyphenated last name - not a changeover of families but a merging of the two.

But the internet is scaring me. Apparently many people who hyphenate regret it down the line. Some computers don't recognize the hyphen as a character, banks and credit card companies have a hard time getting it right, women lament the problem of characters and fitting a lengthy last name into required field. Ahh!

My other option is to make Sembera my middle name and lose Alison, my current middle name. This makes me a bit sad though as my parents went through much deliberation to name me Megan Alison, and I even went by Alison for a short time in grade school when Megan became too common. Alas, my heart wants to be Megan Alison Sembera-Peters. I'm giving myself a deadline of 24 more hours....stay tuned for the oh-so-exciting final decision :)

5 comments:

Dustin December 30, 2009 at 5:35 PM  

I think this is tough. I am very attached to my last name and do understand why any girl on the earth would be attached to theirs. But I must say that I LOVE that my wife took my last name and that she is Mrs. O. I don't know if Chris feels same, but again his last name is more common. Best of luck on your decisions.

megan December 31, 2009 at 8:14 AM  

Actually, Chris is encouraging me to keep my own name, which is great. But I do want a combination of both, so I'm the one making things difficult :)

Vic December 31, 2009 at 9:01 AM  

What I did was make my maiden name part of my middle - without losing my middle, which I'm also attached to. So my name is First Middle Maiden Last. The social security office recognizes the entirety of "Lynn F*****" as my middle name. Would that be an option you'd be comfortable with?

Good luck in deciding!

megan December 31, 2009 at 3:29 PM  

Hmm, that's a good option too! I'll let you know what I decide :)

Michaela Acker January 2, 2010 at 11:09 PM  

I agree with the last posting...just have 4 names...its not really all that uncommon, my best friend did it when she got married...mainly b/c now her intials spell SAWS and she wanted that :)

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP