12/10/09

Calling the Container Home

Chris and I are in the market for a home, and look what I found today! I don't know how I'm just hearing about these, but WOW - shipping container homes :)

My grandparents had a container on their property in New Orleans. Grandpa was a farmer, and he used it to store tools, tractors, crops, etc. All of us grandkids used to play in there, but we never thought about sleeping in there. But if it would have looked like this...

...I don't think we ever would have left!

If you've ever been to a major port, you know how many shipping containers exist in this world. What a great secondhand use. And they are earthquake, hurricane and fire resistant. Some of these homes are designed and delivered (all-in-one of course) for only $17,000! And of course they are extemely portable.

Here are a few really neat homes.






...And this one is a DORM in Amsterdam

See more shipping container homes here and here.

3 comments:

ondre December 10, 2009 at 7:17 PM  

Some of these look pretty cool. But a lot more than Grandpa's simple container. I think you can get used containers pretty cheap. Four of these and some corrugated steel and glass for a "foyer" to serve as a commons area between the four probably costs way less than building materials for a typical 4br home. I like the idea that they're modular and easily moved.

Dustin December 14, 2009 at 10:48 AM  

I don't know your mobile home looks pretty big again - http://www.transportplanning.com/images/small/04_20ft_CONTAINER_TILT_BODY_TRUCK.gif

megan December 15, 2009 at 2:06 PM  

Dustin, you've seen the size of my house, right? Can't a girl dream for just a *little bit* more space?

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP